Thursday, November 8, 2012

Being helpful: flip flops on the ground in Africa

Although we have a blogged a couple of times after hurricane Sandy, we haven't discussed the hurricane on the blog. We worried about our friends and family and thought of them and were relieved to find them safe and healthy. But beyond checking on loved ones, we haven't known how to be helpful in the aftermath of this natural disaster in the blog, online, and offline in life.


The reality is that we couldn't do much beyond check in, offer our thoughts/prayers and a sympathetic audience. Better than nothing, but pretty damn close to nothing as well. With so many loved ones along the Eastern Seaboard, and the ominous satellite pictures and the reality of a massive natural disaster, the storm and everyones' welfare was a dominant thought for several days and we are so thankful that everyone we know and love is getting along as best as possible. That relief is also tempered, as we are acutely aware that not everyone has been so fortunate. It is tough to be removed when events both collective and personal are deeply affecting your loved ones, and Sandy reinforced the impotence that distance creates, even in this hyper connected world. I can take some comfort (and pride) in the fact that my brother, Dave, a journeyman lineman, has been helping out on the eastern seabord -- putting electricity back on. Be safe, Dave!

Our conundrum with hurricane Sandy is similar to an ongoing internal dialogue that I have for how to be helpful generally and specifically in the next stages of our travel through some of the poorest countries in the world. Honestly, it is an existential angst that has been ever-present since we embarked on this journey, acutely aware that the side of my personality, which strives to be helpful, is not getting fed as much as I would prefer.

This idea of being helpful was put forward in the following insightful comment to one of our other posts from the newly wed DiPernas (Congrats!):

Korols!

This blog is amazing. I feel as if I am along on the journey with you. Cappadoccia, Petra, and that underwater cistern - all looked incredible! I love that you are experiencing so much but keeping your itinerary so personal. How fortunate to get to see the sites that you are visiting, but to meet up with friends, climb, and hike in them...it's just perfect.

Of all your posts though, this one was the one I wanted to respond to. I love that part of the reason for your journey was to find out how you could make a positive impact. I've been thinking about it and a small suggestion, especially before you head to Africa:

Meet people. Communicate with them. Ask them how you can help and what they need. Then tell us, your faithful blog followers, how we can help. Maybe a school needs books, a farmer needs a loan on Kiva funded, or a church is need of donations. I'm always surprised how people answer the question "How can I help?" It's usually the simplest request.

Safe travels you two!

-Mark and Kaitlyn DiPerna!

Kaitlyn's suggestion to ask "How can I help?" is very welcome, and one that I am embarrassed to say that I have not asked in my recent travels. In fact before Kaitlyn's suggestion, the last time that I remember truly asking that question was 9 years ago when I began my Peace Corps service in the village, Marofandilia, Madagascar.

Today is our fourth day on the African continent, and it is hard to find the appropriate time of which and the appropriate person of whom to ask: "How can I help?". On the plane to Nairobi, I asked the man sitting next to me, a "Save the Children" employee who works on nutrition issues. He answered that beyond donating to Save the Children, we can help and are helping by being tourists and supporting the economy. Initially, his answer is not too compelling but after some reflection, I found it interesting for the following reasons.

- First, his answer to that question makes me feel a little better about the fact that I am not currently a working contributing member of society. Wilson and I battle with the inherent selfishness of what we have chosen, and there is no sugarcoating that this part of our 'dream' is self absorbed.Giving money through tourism is an interesting point.

- Second, it compels me to be a little more generous in my market dealings. Usually, as a traveler and certainly as a Peace Corps volunteer, it was a point of pride to get the best deal for the taxi-ride, or the piece of fabric in the market. Wilson has never been this way -- he simply wants to pay what he is willing to pay and if that results in a good end of the deal for a person who is much worse off than us, than all the better. I think that going forward it may be easier for me to adopt Wilson's approach (with a little bargaining) and discard the fear of being "ripped off" as a tourist.



- Third, most tourists come to Africa to have some sort of environmental experience, e.g., people come to see wildlife and the natural environment they are in. Africa, like the world, is facing many environmental issues, amidst people's hunger and deprivation. Morally, the focus is on people's hunger and deprivation. Ideally, one would like to assist with both, especially since social and the environmental issues can interrelate. Tourism helps both. It not only assists through job-creation, but it also creates the incentive for countries like Tanzania to protect habitat for wildlife. In fact, leveraging tourism in Madagascar through the creation of a village gift shop was, I think, the biggest positive impact that I made during the Peace Corps. So, although there are drawbacks to tourism, including the large carbon footprint from air travel, I guess it is one way to be helpful.



I hope to make "Being Helpful" a regular series on the blog as I try to find opportunities to ask variants of the question "How can I help?" We are getting settled and have re-prioritized a bit to be sure and we intend to seek out places where we can be helpful on a personal level and share with our readers so we can hopefully leverage those, like Kaitlyn, with a willingness and ability to help out on this other side of the globe. It could sure use the help.



 

3 comments:

  1. With your full appreciation of the earth and its inhabitants, I'm sure you and Wilson are the best tourists a country could ask for. I agree that by talking to people about the needs of the area, you can inform us of the realities and help send resources their way. Also, you can scout out good places for people to take "volunteer vacations" :) Bon voyage! And safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post. You guys are so incredibly generous, it truly warms my heart. I love: "Meet people. Communicate with them."... if there is one thing that you both do very well is meet and communicate with other people. This world is small, if you want it to be. The smaller you make it, the closer hearts become.
    You both do this on a daily basis, but the fact that you're doing it in countries that need it, really does warm my heart.
    We love you guys, and miss you too!
    Can't wait to read more about the people you meet, their stories, and how your story fits in with theirs...

    Also, side note: Tahoe got 18"!

    -Casey & Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind words and thoughts, we are doing great and working on a more tangible post with orgs we have encountered or had receomended along the way. That should be coming soon, but until then it really brings a ton of joy to have people responding well here on the blog and facebook to the idea of helping.

    Lots of love, and let it snow.

    ReplyDelete