Saturday, May 11, 2013

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming

Dateline: Somewhere over the Gulf of Mexico or Guayana

I write this as we head back on the road, in a state that has become oh so comfy: moving. We are 35k above the warm blue Gulf and heading to Buenos Aires, and then down to Patagonia. It feels great to be back abroad, enjoying the anticipation (and the free wine and movies).

These last couple of days doing last minute prep have reinforced how natural the whole process now feels. I have realized that my current default is this state of moving -- downsizing from dozens of boxes -> to a full car -> to backpacks is liberating. I viscerally feel the leanness and sharpness that comes from physically having all your immediate belongings on your back. Also washing back is the mental focus required to keep your wits about you in uncertain, and exciting, environments.

Don't get me wrong, I love my gear/stuff as much as anyone, but having gone through the process of choosing what will make the trip south and what won't, what gets shipped out and what comes on our trip, i have confidence in those choices and know that if I am carrying it, I love it or need it. Also, I know that I can't forget to pack something at our first hostel and just replace it effortlessly, which leads to a heightened engagement with the surrounding world.

We have had a wonderful time in the States. Between a healthy dose of travel around the States and people coming to visit Colorado, I estimate that we saw 50+ friends/family in these last 3 months, across the skiing, weddings and getting around to various cities. Thank you to all that were part of our last 3 months, we love you guys. For those we missed, our apologies and I bet that we see you sooner rather than later.

One aspect of our travels that we are looking forward to is resuming our blogging in earnest. It has been so cool to hear how many of our loved ones have enjoyed the posts during the first several phases of travel. Countless times, I was talking with one of you over these last months and you recounted a story or picture that was memorable, which brought immense joy, and admittedly pride. It has been especially cool to hear the diversity of peoples' favorite posts.

In CO, it was harder to find topics and experiences to share. I did not think that a day of skiing followed by feasting on March Madness over dinner was all that interesting nor worthy of a post. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat x 40. For mu in that moment, it was probably a little less than nirvana, she is not the biggest sports fan after all.

We have really loved the process of sharing our thoughts on this medium, often using it to sharpen our reaction to what has transpired or deepening the historical context. Having a record of where we have gone and what we have seen is a great secondary bonus as well. Thank you for your participation, we hope these next 3 months from the bottom of South America to the top are chock full of blog worthy moments.

And now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

 

3 comments:

  1. I am so excited to see all your wonderful pictures and read about your adventures in Argentina! If you remember, could you take a picture or two of some food for me, pretty please?!?! I can't believe Muriel will be in the land of the best beef in the world and won't be trying it. So sad! ;) Do you guys have an itinerary yet of what provinces you'll be visiting? HAVE FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duh me, I remembered you posted your itinerary already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually...our itinerary is a little vague for Argentina. So you are right. We have to figure out what to do after we explore Patagonia and leave Chile. I think that we might not make it up to where you lived in the Salta area but we will eventually make it to Iguazu after BA. Happy Mother's day (btw) to you! You are such an amazing mother and Spanish speaker. Spanish here in Argentina is hard. The "shs" and words like aqui become aca, etc. The Costa Rican today that we met said that he even has a hard time. He was probably humoring me. :)

    Also re meat and food ---I may have to try a bite or so of the carne asada -- it looks pretty incredible. And I will try to take some pics of the food. Our best food experience thus far was at a food stand along the watet just outside of the local BA airport. It was such an unexpected suprise to be able to eat informally outside with a wonderful view after checking our bags. Yea! Fun!

    ReplyDelete