Sunday, February 2, 2014

The Dream Continues in Tahoe: Lifestyle Sports

A few weeks ago, I listened to a climbing podcast that talked about a segment of climbers who enjoy the climbing as a 'lifestyle' sport. Lifestyle sport means that it isn't just the sport that makes the activity attractive, it is the whole lifestyle that surrounds it. For climbing, some examples of this "lifestyle" are the camping, the intimate camaraderie, and the traveling to places that are off the beaten track.

This idea totally resonated with me, but in a larger context. In essence, Muriel and I have adopted the lifestyle of professional adventure athletes for the past 18 months, just without the sponsorship, the videos, the first ascents/decents, and really any notable sports achievement. Still, the outdoor sport lifestyle is why we have carried out climbing gear all over Europe, Africa and Asia, lugged our backpacking gear from the tip of South America to the Carribean, and stuffed our car to the brim for 2 months of adventures in the West.

Professional athletes often focus on one or two sports, and do them at a world class level, boundary pushing excellence. Our outdoor lifestyle doesn't fit that model for separate reasons, for me and Muriel. For Muriel, her passion for outdoor sports really blossomed when she was in college-- relatively late in life. So she is just happy to achieve competence and has little idea of achieving excellence (or even really good) through a solo focus on a single sport. For me, Wilson, solo focus does not fit my temperament. Instead, I want to be good at many sports. For example, I love the sport of climbing and its specific challenge, but would never want to devote all of my energies to only that sport. Rather, I want to multi-sport to my heart's content, indulging in the variety of a life in the outdoors. I believe so strongly that diversity is an essential lifeblood of human existence, and want to have diversity in my own interests and passions to stay fresh and engaged.

The last nine days have indulged that multi-sport passion, even by the standards of our wanderlust and normal whirlwind. Across this period, I have surfed in Bali, climbed at Red Rocks and am now skiing in Park City at the massive Canyons resort. Each of these three spots is totally world class for the respective sport. These are the kind of places that devoted athletes in each discipline know and want to visit. You know this by just listening to the various languages spoken by the other citizens of the world surfing, climbing and skiing.

Skiing is a great sport for thinking, you have the 'dead' time of the lift to tunnel into your brain as well as the flow that results from the turns themselves. So, being back on my beloved skis has my mind pleasantly racing, and feeling so fortunate for the opportunity to do so many sports that I love in stunning locations.

Including this last week, the highlights of the dream include;

- Climbing in many of the greatest crags of the world - Ton sai, Kalymnos, Smith, Red Rocks, Sardina, Geyabayiri, and the New River Gorge;

- Mountain biking in Moab, Bend, Mammoth and Whistler;

- Skiing in Colorado (including Breckenridge and Vail), and Utah;

- Surfing in Bali;

- Backpacking in Patagonia, in the Cordillera Blanca and along the John Muir Trail;

- Whitewater rafting on the Zambezi.

The reality is that these pursuits are the unifying thread of our trip.

When we had arrived in Vegas last week, my dad asked a couple times whether Mu and i were feeling any emotional angst or sorrow for the conclusion of the international component of our dream. We aren't planning on using our passports anytime soon, and that means the 354 days we have spent abroad over the last year and half are complete. I answered his question clear eyed each time with an emphatic 'No'.

He seemed surprised, which I totally understand. If we don't feel any particular let down emotionally after so many epic adventures, with so many people and new places, when are we going to feel those emotions? At first, i thought this lack of emotion was the result of my innate forward looking temperament. I am naturally focused on what is next, whatever that may be. Have been my whole life.

But having thought about these exchanges a fair bit for the last week, i think the answer is simpler. You see, we are on our way to Tahoe right now, for 2 more months of skiing. We will live in one of my favorite spots on earth, ski with many friends and family, and continue living the outdoor lifestyle that we have revealed to be our preference. It doesn't feel like our dream is over, just because it will be taking place within the borders of these United States.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment