Sunday, September 7, 2014

Landing in Nassau

It has been quite some time since our last post, but that is going change because I am back on the road. Well sort of. I have arrived at my first post here in Nassau and will live in this delightful city for the next two years. It is nice, to say the least.
Since the previous blog post, the last two+ months have passed quickly -- time escaped us with training/work while enjoying DC and the surrounding area as much as possible.  I think we did a pretty good job of that between exploring the District with friends, getting out to the VA mountains and trips to Annapolis/Balto, NYC, Maine, Minneapolis, and CA.  So busy times indeed, and I imagine most anyone reading this has had a pretty busy summer as well.
Then about a week ago it was time to head out, which was made exponentially harder because I left DC on my own. Mu stayed in the District for the next several months with her job so we said goodbye at the Reagan Airport departure curbside. Wow that was hard. Stepping back this time will be much easier than if I had been posted basically anywhere else that is farther from DC. We will get to see each other every three or so weeks, but future logistics did not make it any easier to say goodbye.
From DCA, I flew on to Miami for an overnight of work.  This made leaving DC so much easier because I got to see some good friends who live in South Beach. We hit up a rooftop bar and watched a squall come through from the tenth floor overlooking the city. Then a yummy Haitian dinner further confirmed how much I enjoy South Beach.
The next day I arrived in Nassau, the culmination of the last 4 or so months. I was greeted by a colleague and started a whirlwind tour and intro into the city (Nassau) and island (New Providence). I had a couple of days until I could move into my place so stayed in a hotel right in downtown a hop, skip and jump from work.
My time out of work through the weekend has been split between checking out the city and the larger island.
- First, I want to talk about this city with its lengthy colonial history going back over two centuries. Amazingly, the water is clear as can be even along a really busy stretch of water where multiple cruise ships have docked daily thus far. That blew my mind. I got a good feeling about the city watching a grandiose sunset from an open air bar on my first evening, with clear skies from an afternoon rain and big clouds making for a memorable sunset.
Also everyone I have met in and out of the embassy community has been very welcoming. There have been numerous meals and happy hours, not unsurprising in a place famous as a vacation destination. All much appreciated for a guy living apart from his wife.
- Second, it has been the pleasure of exploring the island. It is roughly 7x21 miles, so 3x the size of San Francisco proper. Prior to arrival,  I perceived the island as small, but it feels much larger. Some of that comes from the slower speeds you use when driving around the island, so the effective distance is larger. Also the density of the island is concentrated, which means that there are still large swaths of land that are undeveloped and remote.
The nature highlights thus far have been concentrated on the western tip of the island, with stunning beaches and cliffs dropping into crystal clear water of a hue that I don't think have yet seen in my travels on this great earth. The water kind of surprises you while driving around, peaking out of some pine barrens, popping out of the forest or around a bend in the road. It will be fun to spend more time in the water moving forward. I got to snorkel on Saturday which was enjoyable and have been swimming most everyday thus far on-island.


No comments:

Post a Comment