Tuesday, June 9, 2015

B.A.B.E. Week 5: Smiling, Fussing and Post-Partum Weigh In


The most exciting development this week is that Elle is starting to progress beyond  “gas-smiles” and half-smiles into some crinkly eyed excited smiles.   We aren’t quite to a full, cheek-dimple showing smile but she rewarded her grandparents with "real" smiles (we think) two days ago and I think that she is smiling on her Baba’s lap in the pic above.

Starting to smile is not the only new development -- the happy expressions have been mixed with increased fussiness.  Apparently, infant babies’ fussiness grows until it peaks around 6-8 weeks – a fussiness bell curve if you will.  And Elle seems to be going through this.  This fussiness is a strange phenomenon because you don’t know what she wants.   The 3 main culprits for our little one seem to be: hunger, overstimulation/fatigue, or gas pains.

Unfortunately the treatment for these culprits are different.   For example, if she is experiencing gas pain because I have overfed her on fore-milk then I should comfort her with a pacifier.  On the other hand, if she is hungry or over-stimulated, then I can comfort her by nursing – the exact opposite solutions.   This fussiness is confusing and disturbing.   Luckily, there are good resources out there to help (like this link) and I have also found 2 other strategies that seem to keep the sharp shooting cries of distress at bay:  (1) wearing Elle in a carrier for naps during the day; and (2) simethicone drops.

The Carrier 
I was inspired to use the carrier (a Boba wrap that my friend lent me) because Elle, I and the grandparents went to a Baby Wearing International (BWI) meeting this past week.  The BWI meeting showed us an array of different ways that you can "wear" your baby.  The meeting also made me realize that my qualms about the Boba wrap being hot and hard to put on were surmountable.  This is good because the Boba wrap has been very useful to calm Elle and get stuff done (like writing this blog).   I have also ordered a mesh sling ring carrier  because Elle seemed so content in the sling ring carrier at the BWI meeting that I couldn't resist.  Am also excited to see if it is finally a carrier that I can wear in the heat...apparently, because it is mesh you can wear it in the water as well.



The Drops
For drops, we are currently giving Elle three types of drops.  Two (pro-biotic drops and a Vitamin D supplement) may make her gas pains worse in the immediate term but were recommended by our pediatrician for her long-term health.  And the third, simethicone drops, is not harmful per our our pediatrician and has not been proven scientifically to be effective at relieving gas pain, but many mothers swear by it.    We may be swearing by it as well.  These simethicone drops have worked wonders in the past 2-3 days.   She seems much happier immediately following a feeding (when you give her the drops) until the pain seems to start again around feeding time a couple hours later.  You can use the drops up to 12 times per day – but I am wary of using them at every feeding, especially since her bowel movements have become more watery after we began using the drops.  We’ll see if they continue to work but for now, Elle seems to be in a lot less pain.


The Doctors

Elle and I both had doctors’ appointments this week.   Elle is growing very well and gaining weight.  I, on the other hand, have not lost as much weight as I would have thought at 5 weeks out.   I have probably only lost 20 or so pounds and was hoping that my 35 or so pound weight gain would have diminished more by now.   But after a chocolate milkshake and sweet potato fries at lunch today, I sort of know why the weight isn’t exactly melting off.   Couple that with the the fact that I may actually follow the doctor's advice to continue to keep my exercise very light this week and body/fitness still isn't much of priority.  I think that I need to continue to be gentle with myself as far as weight loss goes because  Elle and I haven’t yet made it home.  And without being home, we can’t really get in a regular pattern, yet.  Even if a regular pattern doesn't really work post baby, not being at home does feel disruptive.  For instance, our "transient" life has presented some issues as far as milk storage and my subsequent lack of enthusiasm to empty excess milk.   (This may have contributed to the recurrence of blocked ducts).   So while I am slightly disappointed by weight and lack of exercise, right now I am focused on enjoying our daughter (while also clearing the ducts and trying to avoid a third bout of mastitis.)

No comments:

Post a Comment