Tuesday, December 22, 2015

B.A.B.E. Week 33: First time away and regretting a workout

This week's pictures entirely rely on Wilson because I took hardly any pictures.   Part of my decrease in photos is that I was away from Elle for 3 nights.  It was the first time that I had been away from Elle since she was born and it was hard.  But it was like ripping off a bandaid hard (or plucking eyebrow hairs) -- really painful at first and then just sort of achy afterwards.  The painful part was the first 12 hours -- the remaining 60 or so hours were ok.  The separation and dread of separation hurt a lot but then after facetimes and photos, I felt a lot better.  It also helped tremendously that Wilson's parents were there so Elle was surrounded by her dad, her nanny, and her grandparents.   All people who love her.

And Elle actually seemed pretty non-plussed by me being away.  When I saw her for the first time after the 3 days away, she had just woken up from a nap.  She looked up at me from her crib and smiled at me like "oh, of course you are here.  so glad to see you."  She seemed so calm and, even, thrilled to be with her dada and grandparents.  And I was thrilled to hold her in my arms again.  After getting back she has started to try to "sing along" to the sleepy time lullabies and I love hearing her "ahs" to match my croons.


I was away from Elle because I was working from my org's DC headquarters this past week. It was really great to be in the office after such a long absence.  I hadn't been in the office since August when I came back from maternity leave.   And it was so wonderful to re-connect in person with my work friends and colleagues.  The wonders of tech enable us to have globally diverse teams but there is still something special about sharing the same physical space.  As I blogged about last week, having that touch time feels so satisfying and, I think, is important to maintaining and growing relationships.

And other aspects of B.A.B.E.dom? Working from DC didn't too much for my fitness.  But I continue to limp along.  Not sure when I will really kick into gear or what that even means.  Life is so busy and tiring for so many of us that maybe we should just be proud of ourselves when we "squeeze" in a workout.  And I certainly did that today...but to my regret.

I regret my "squeezed" in workout today because at the last minute, I decided to run to a dinner party rather than be normal and show up presentable.  Instead, I showed up super sweaty.  It was much more humid than I expected and I was literally a hot mess.  The reason that I initially thought that this was a good decision was because Wilson was playing tennis at this said dinner party...so I thought he gets to be sweaty, why can't I?

And where was Elle?  She was with Wilson's family at the dinner party.  So instead of being with Elle and our hosts, I had decided that if Wilson gets to exercise, I should too... Ugh my obsession with equality and exercise led to an awkward conclusion.



That said, Wilson's family and our hosts were extremely gracious at humoring my awkward decision but I decided that next time, I may just opt to be normal and not squeeze in the run...

No comments:

Post a Comment