Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Dear E.C.S: 2016 In Review

Dear E.C.S.,

I love the end and start of a year because it is about completion and beginnings. It provides space to reflect about the past year and think what reinventions and adventures will occur in the new year.

So to reflect on this past year, I thought I would be a top 10.   A top 10 of what?  I don’t really know…I guess, things that stick out. 

I told Wilson about doing a top 10 and his reaction:

“That’s a lot to think about.”

He’s right, so here’s my top 5

5.  Transition period between jobs

In mid-July,  I had a couple of weeks at the end of my job and between jobs to spend time with Elle one-on-one in the Bahamas and take a mommy-daughter trip to Colorado and Utah to see a ton of family and friends.   It was incredible to savor the time with Elle before we left our home in the Bahamas and then also get to see so many lifetime friends throughout Colorado and Utah.  

4.  Movement

2016 has been another year of movement in the Korol household.  Per the usual.  Whether seeing family and friends in NYC or skiing in Utah and France or swimming off different shores in the Bahamas, we were constantly on the move.    It was thrilling, exhausting, and probably because 2016 never gave Elle much predictability, she still isn’t sleeping through the night…hopefully soon.

3.  Gratitude

While globally, 2016 felt like a terrible year – humanitarian crises (Syria, South Sudan, Congo, etc.), terrorist attacks (Pulse nightclub, Bastille Day, Berlin Christmas Market, etc.), personally I am grateful. 

In this blog, I have repeatedly written about my gratitude for our lives and for every day that sickness and harm does not befall us.  That is a daily thought, one that centers my experience as a mother and wife and friend and family member. 


2. My new job

This one relates to #3 - I am so incredibly happy to be working in the international development field.  Whether my organization is helping alleviate drought and famine for millions in Ethiopia or supporting Syrian humanitarian interventions or encouraging both domestic or international small business development, I feel so lucky to work to support these efforts while providing for my family.

1.  You- Elle Catherine Sarah Korol


Elle Catherine Sarah Korol, you were born in a year 2015 when 1 out of 8 babies was born in conflict. I am so thankful and grateful you, and we, do not live in conflict.  You have brought us so much joy and peace - beyond my ability to describe on a daily basis. You bring so much light to our lives that it is hard to conceive of the year when you won’t be the highlight.  

love, 
mom

No comments:

Post a Comment