Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Dear E.C.S.: staples of life



Dear E.C.S., 

Despite the heartbreak that I wrote about in the last blog post, life goes on and the staples of life sustain us... sleep, food and water, and friends and family...

Sleep

Since April 2015 (when I was 9 months pregnant with you), I think that I maybe have gotten 5 nights of a continuous 8 hour sleep--and the majority of those were probably when I was still 9 months pregnant.  Most of the time, my sleep has been interrupted by intervals to nurse you or worry about you.   Thus, sleep and going to bed has become an obsession.

The funny thing is that this obsession was completely displaced when celebrating my friend at her surprise 40th birthday party.   I completely surprised myself by hanging out with friends until 4 am.  It was like I was in my 20s again instead of a stodgy 38 year old seeking a 9:15 pm bedtime.

I appreciated this miraculous burst of energy....


Food and Water

A few days after sleep deprived night, the extended Korol family visited us for Thanksgiving.  And once again, I felt so grateful for abundance of food and happiness and the celebration of that abundance every fourth Thursday in November.    

However for some, Thanksgiving is darkened by reflecting on the history that Native Americans have endured.  

Friends

A week after the Thanksgiving holidays, we took a quick weekend trip to Maine  to see your dad’s (Wilson's) friends from childhood.  It is pretty special to see friends that Wilson has adored for more than 30 years.   He has many old friends who he has known since he was 4 years old.  I admire Wilson's continuous friendships since pre-school days.  

This is one of my biggest concerns for you, my daughter, that you will feel that you have continuous friendships like your dada.  However, you already have friends from some of our dearest friends (whether 30 year or 10 year friendships) and so am hopeful that your global friendships will span the decades like your dad’s neighborhood friendships have.




Staples of life...sleep, food and water, and friends and family...

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment